Address: Castle St/High St, Glasgow G4 0UZ
Tel: 0141 552 8198
Opening hours: April-September: Mon-Sat 9.30am-5.30pm, Sun 1pm-5pm; October-March: Mon-Sat 9.30am-4.30pm, Sun 1pm-4.30pm.
Glasgow Cathedral is a majestic piece of ancient architecture and the finest building of the 1200’s now surviving in mainland Scotland, standing in the heart of Glasgow.
Built on the site where St Kentigern, or Mungo, the first bishop within the ancient British kingdom of Strathclyde was thought to have been buried in AD 612, Glasgow Cathedral stands majestically in the heart of Scotland’s largest city. It was built during the 13th and 14th centuries and is the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland to have survived the Protestant Reformation of 1560 virtually intact.
There used to be a chanonry around it – a precinct where the bishops (and later archbishops) and clergy lived. To its south and west, a thriving burgh sprang up, under the bishops’ patronage. That burgh has since expanded into the great metropolis of today.
Glasgow Cathedral was at the very heart of the early development of Glasgow as a city. Dedicated to St Kentigern, the first bishop of Strathclyde, the awe-inspiring edifice attracted countless pilgrims to his shrine. Originally built in the 1100s, and substantially enlarged in the 1200s, it survived the Protestant Reformation of 1560 almost intact and stands today as the most complete medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland.
Glasgow Cathedral sits in the medieval heart of Glasgow, adjacent to the Necropolis; one of the most significant cemeteries in Europe and a beautiful, peaceful park valued by Glaswegian’s for study.
Both are well worth a visit if you are in the area.