The Mitchell Theatre is situated behind Europe’s largest public reference library, the Mitchell Library on Granville Street in the Charing Cross district of Glasgow.
The Mitchell Theatre was created within the former St. Andrew’s Halls. Built between 1873-7, they suffered a devastating fire in 1962, with only a shell behind the facade remaining.
Reconstruction between 1972 and 1980 created the theatre and an extension to the library. The Mitchell theatre complex also includes the Moir Hall.
The venue is run by Glasgow City Council, the theatre provides a venue for music events, conferences and fairs.